Autism: What is covered through HealthPlus?
Every day, there are children and families challenged with Autism. As a parent or caregiver, you always want what is best for your child. The best schools, the best resources and especially the best healthcare. Through HealthPlus, you have the flexibility to explore avenues of healthcare, which may not be typically covered under a traditional health plan.
HealthPlus covers many of the recommended treatment options that can improve social functioning, learning, and quality of life for children with autism.
1. Occupational Therapy
- Helps to teach fine motor skills, handwriting skills, and self-care skills.
- May also focus on independent living skills (i.e. cooking, cleaning, financial management) later in life.
2. Sensory Integration Therapy
- Aims to exposing individuals to sensory stimulation in a repetitive way, so that over time the brain will adapt and allow for proper processing and reactions to sensations.
- Available through your Occupational Therapist.
3. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Helps individuals manage their anxiety.
- Proven to help identify thoughts and feelings, and how to cope with negative triggers.
5. Speech Pathology
- Speech therapies will help to use words correctly, help to correlate language with feelings, and can improve the rate and rhythm of speech.
- Provides support for families, as well as the individuals challenged with Autism.
- Provides incredible transitional support for adolescents with Autism.
7. Prescribed medications
For further information on services or programs in Ontario, visit http://www.children.gov.on.ca/htdocs/English/specialneeds/autism/programs.aspx. For further coverage information under HealthPlus, please visit https://healthplusplan.ca/the-benefits/.